Types of Support Available

Types of support available for children with SEND and /or disabilities in this school?What would this mean for your child?Who can get this kind of support?
Class teacher input via Quality First Teaching
  • The teacher will have the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • All teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Using a variety of teaching strategies so that your child is fully involved in learning in class.
  • Putting in place specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCo or staff from outside agencies) to enable your child to access the learning task.

All children in school receive this.

Specific small group work.

This group may be

  • taught in the classroom or additional teaching room.
  • taught by a Teacher or a Teaching assistant who has had training to lead these groups.

These are often called Intervention groups by schools.

  • The teacher will plan group sessions for your child with targets to help your child to make more progress.
  • A Learning Support Assistant/Teacher (or outside professional) will run these small group sessions using the teacher’s plans, or a recommended programme.

Any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning and identified as needing some extra support in school.

Specialist groups run by outside agencies
  • If your child has been identified as needing more specialist input, referrals will be made to outside agencies to advise and support the school in enabling your child to make progress.
  • Before referrals are made you will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
  • Outside agency professionals will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations.

Children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and Intervention groups.

Specified Individual support

This is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).  This means your child will have been identified by the SENCo and other professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual and small group teaching, which cannot be provided from the resources already delegated to the school.

  • The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs.
  • After the school has sent in the request to the Local Authority they will decide whether your child’s needs are complex enough to require a statutory assessment.  If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs.
  • After the reports have all been sent in the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong and whether to write an EHC Plan.
  • The EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place.  It will also have long and short term goals for your child.

Children whose additional needs are severe, complex and lifelong.

Upcoming Events

  • 25 Oct
    End of half term All Day

  • 26 Oct
    Staff Development Day All Day

  • 05 Nov
    Term recommences All Day

  • 25 Oct - 06 Nov
  • 07 Nov - 09 Nov
  • 12 Nov - 17 Nov
  • 16 Nov - 21 Nov
  • 05 Dec - 13 Dec
  • 14 Dec - 21 Dec
  • 21 Dec - 21 Dec